We take your privacy seriously.
Last updated: 09/11/2021
1. The collection, management and use of your personal information by the University of Newcastle ABN 15 736 576 735 (the “University”, “we”, “our”, and “us”) is governed by our Privacy Management Plan, and we will only collect, use and disclose your information in accordance with the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (NSW) (the “Act”) and where applicable, the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 (NSW). To the extent of any inconsistency between this Privacy Statement and our Privacy Management Plan, the Privacy Management Plan will prevail.
The Act defines what is, and is not, personal information for the purposes of the Act. In circumstances where identifying information has been removed, the de-identified data is no longer considered personal information.
This Privacy Statement forms part of the “Terms and Conditions” of the Australian Eating Survey.
What is the Australian Eating Survey® (AES)?
2. The University of Newcastle has established the Australian Eating Survey® Online (AES), a web-based suite of food frequency questionnaires (the Survey) designed to assess an individual’s habitual dietary intake, and provide individuals with immediate feedback on the nutritional adequacy of their diet.
The Australian Eating Survey has now expanded to Australian Eating Survey (Heart) which is a Survey tailored to improving heart health and how diet can influence heart health and heart disease. The Australian Eating Survey may develop other Surveys in future which branch out to other topics, such as the relationship between diet and other health conditions. This Privacy Statement applies to all Australian Eating Surveys.
Am I eligible to participate?
3. Individuals can participate in the AES:
- by “self-registration” as an individual user. You can register, provide payment and complete the Survey online, and you will receive a “real time” nutrient analysis and detailed individual report. Unless stated otherwise on the Australian Eating Survey website, anyone aged 18 years and over may choose to self-register, and a parent or legal guardian of a person aged 2 to 17 years may register on their behalf, and access the AES (except that the Australian Eating Survey (Heart) is only intended for users who are 18 years of age or older); or
- by participating in independent research projects or services conducted by a third party, and completing the Survey at the request of researchers or other individuals or groups. Your responses to the Survey and reports are provided to researchers, individuals or groups who administer these projects and services.
What information about you do we collect and what do we hold?
INDIVIDUALS / PARTICIPANTS
4. People who register and complete the Survey, either through self-registration or through participation in research projects or services conducted by a third party, will provide personal information such as:
- date of birth; and
- email address.
5. The Survey will include questions concerning:
- your weight and height; and
- your diet.
RESEARCHERS, HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS OR OTHER SERVICES CONDUCTED BY THIRD PARTIES
6. Researchers and other individuals who conduct services who wish to utilise the AES for participants in their research and services will provide personal information such as:
- name; and
- contact details, including email address.
INDIVIDUALS / PARTICIPANTS AND RESEARCHERS, HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS OR OTHER SERVICES CONDUCTED BY THIRD PARTIES
7. It may be necessary to collect other personal information or sensitive information to enable us to provide the Service or to enable you to participate in the Survey. You may choose not to provide us with the information we request but it may prevent you from completing the AES or affect the quality of the feedback you receive.
8. We take the security of data seriously and in accordance with our Privacy Management Plan obligations, we implement security safeguards to strive to secure and protect all information which we hold from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
9. Information is maintained in electronic form and is securely stored. Information is only accessed by authorised personnel using secure logins and passwords. All personnel are subject to confidentiality obligations in the management of your personal information. All data is held in Australia.
Why do we need your information?
10. Your personal information may be used for purposes including:
- Responding to your registration or enquiry;
- Research and purposes related to it, including publications, conferences or other communication of research findings;
- Data analysis and testing;
- To assist us to evaluate or improve the AES, or as reasonably required to provide AES or undertake any related research;
- To investigate possible breaches of the Terms and Conditions or Privacy Statement, or as required for law enforcement purposes or to comply with law; and
- To facilitate internal business operations, such as quality assurance and administration purposes;
How do we use and disclose your personal information?
11. If you self-register for the AES, once you have completed the Survey, we will analyse your responses, compute estimates of your dietary intake, and then generate and send to you a report, by email, which is an overview of your nutrition profile based on your reported dietary intake.
- Your personal information may also be used for purposes including managing trends and demographics to assist us to improve the AES, and to facilitate internal business operations, such as quality assurance and administration purposes.
- If you consent, your Survey responses and the dietary analysis report will be disclosed to researchers within the University of Newcastle with all identifying information removed.
- If you participate in the AES as part of a research project or a service conducted by a third party, we will disclose your personal information to the researchers or individuals who conduct the service and who are responsible for the project or service and who will use your personal information for the purposes of that project or service.
- You may or may not receive a copy of the report, depending upon the protocols and procedures associated with the particular research project or service that you are participating in.
- If you provide personal information through self-registration for the AES, we may use your personal information to communicate with you about products and services which we consider might be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these communications at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the email or by emailing EatingSurvey@newcastle.edu.au
- Your personal information will be de-identified before it is included in any teaching resources, publications, conferences or other communication of research findings.
12. We want to make clear that we will not sell any of your information to a third party.
13. Your personal information will not be disclosed to third party organisations or individuals without your consent, unless required by or authorised by law, the Terms and Conditions or this Privacy Statement.
15. In accordance with obligations under our Privacy Management Plan, we strive to protect all information which we hold from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Information is maintained in electronic form and is securely stored. Information is only accessed by authorised personnel using secure logins and passwords. All personnel are subject to confidentiality obligations in the management of your personal information. All data is held in Australia.
16. You may request access to the personal information that you provided to us, and you may request that we correct that personal information.
We will give you access to your personal information and will take reasonable steps to correct it if we consider that it is incorrect, unless there is a law that allows or requires us not to.
If you would like to access or correct your personal information, please contact us by email at EatingSurvey@newcastle.edu.au.